01795 47 34 34
London Staffordshire
Sittingbourne Faversham
Property Search
Keyword Search
Family Homes  On Mobile
Contents Insurance - Visit Family Homes Tenant Advice Service to find out more

Contents insurance is not compulsory for tenants, but it’s highly recommended.  Consider how much it would cost to replace all of your personal possessions if there was a fire, a flood or your home was burgled.  Taking out contents insurance is a small price to pay for peace of mind. 

As a tenant, your landlord is responsible for buildings insurance, which covers the structure of the building, permanent fixtures and fittings (e.g. the kitchen).  If you are renting a part or fully furnished property, your landlord may have cover in place for their furniture, but it’s very unlikely that your personal possessions would be covered.  Contents insurance will cover the cost of replacing your furniture and other belongings in case of flooding, fire, theft, and so on. 

What is covered by contents insurance?

Contents insurance covers your furniture, home appliances and personal possessions including jewellery, computer, games consoles, DVDs and clothing. It may even include items that you take out of the home, such as your bicycle or smartphone.  You are likely to need to list higher value items separately, as most policies have a maximum limit per items, usually around £1,500.  You wouldn’t want to learn that your ruined TV is not covered when it comes to making a claim.  Tenancy contents insurance eases the financial worry should the worst happen.

How much contents insurance cover is needed?

When getting quotations for contents insurance, you will be asked for the total sum to be insured.  This refers to how much it would cost to replace everything.  The insurer will only pay up to the ‘sum insured’, even if you later realise your belongings are worth more.  It would be a good idea to make a list of all your possessions and work out how much it would cost to replace each item. 

What cover do you need?

Contents insurance covers possessions in your home against risks such as fire, theft, flooding, storm damage and explosion.  When choosing a suitable policy for your household, you may have the option of adding extras such as cover for frozen food in case of a power cut, cover for personal possessions taken out of the home, for example cameras or phones, and accidental damage, such as spilling a drink over your laptop.  Some policies offer ‘new for old’, whereas others will deduct a portion of the value for wear and tear.  It’s vital that you check the small print to check what is and is not covered by your content insurance policy. 

Family Homes are letting agents with offices in Sittingbourne and Faversham.  We have been in business for over 25 years and are the leading and largest independent specialists in property lettings and management in the area. If you need more information, do not hesitate to get in touch.


Flats to rent Sittingbourne  ¦  Flats to let Sittingbourne  ¦  Property to let Sittingbourne  ¦  Estate Agent Sittingbourne   ¦  Lettings in Faversham   ¦  Tenant services sittingbourne  ¦  Landlord Services Sittingbourne  ¦  Letting Agents Sittingbourne  ¦  Sales Agency Sittingbourne  ¦  Houses for sale Sittingbourne  ¦  Houses for sale Faversham  ¦  Property Management Services